Cleanliness is the basic step for the maintenance and effective performance of the electric appliances. Similar is the case with a toaster oven which is used and required every morning in the breakfast. Everyday usage of a toaster oven however demands regular and proper cleaning of it also, as everyday usage of it develops layers of grease residues and crumbs on its surface.
Regular cleaning of toaster oven reduces the risk of it to get burnt or distorted and enhances the good appearance of it. It also reduces the work load of the cleaner as older the layer of grease, more effort and time will be required to clean it.
Cleaning of toaster over is also essential to be done as crumb tray holds the crumbs too much nearby the heating element which is very hazardous in catching fire.
The basic ingredients required for the cleaning of toaster oven are as follows:
- Soft cloth
- Small bowl
- Baking Soda
- Dish Soap
- Green Scrubbing Pads
- For old and tough stains, sufficient amount of elbow grease
The toaster oven should be cleaned internally as well as externally in order to get the effective performance as well as the appearance of it.
Stages to Clean Toaster Oven
- The first and foremost step of cleaning toaster oven is to turn it off, unplug it and allow it to cool down. As it is quite insecure to clean a hot and plugged in electronic appliance.
- Remove the removable products like tray and rack. Some models of oven consist of racks which can be easily removed for cleaning whereas some consist of doors which can be slid off for the cleaning purpose. In case, you cannot remove anything of it, take a paper towel and spray the cleaner on the overall surface of the machine and place that towel on the greasy items. In this way, all the grease will be dissolved by the fluid. One thing that should be kept in mind is not to spray any kind of cleaner on your toaster oven directly as it can lead to the pooling of the fluid and the oven will short out.
- After the removal of the removable objects, place them in the sink full of hot, soapy water. All the grease which is stuck on will be dissolved by this.
- Next step is to wipe down the crumbs from the interior and exterior of the oven. On the interior side of the oven, use a cleaning pad to wipe down all the grease and crumbs. This is done when the inside of the oven has non-stick coating. On the other hand, if the oven has a simple metal on its interior surface, you can use a steel wool which is soap filled. In order to avoid the rubbing of porcelain surface, use anything weaker than a nylon pad for wiping surface. Avoid scrubbing to remove dark spots on the interior surface.
- After this, its turn to clean the exterior surface of the oven. Make a paste using water and baking soda in a small bowl. Keep the thickness of the paste greater than a toothpaste. Add more water if it is dry or difficult to use. Spread the paste of baking soda on the overall surface of the oven which is greased. Allow the paste to rest for a few minutes if the stains are tough.
- Use a green scrubbing pad moistened with water to scrub the exterior surface. Continue scrubbing until the whole grease is removed from all the surface of the oven. The amount of baking soda can be increased if the stains are not getting removed.
- After the removal of all the grease, use a soft cloth which is moistened with soap water to clean the entire exterior surface of the oven.
- Use a thick sponge for cleaning the door of the oven because it is unruffled and provides better cleaning of the surface.
- For the cleaning of the window of the oven, use a steel-wool pad which is lathered and soapy. Diluted vinegar can also be used to get extra shine of the window.
- The exterior surface of the oven should be very carefully cleaned as it is the outlook of your cleaning skills. Moreover, discoloration can also appear due to the use of inappropriate cleaners and liquids. This kind of discoloration cannot be removed in most cases.
- Let the interior surface of the oven to dry entirely to resume its use.
Another technique which sounds helpful and is also used by many kitchen experts is using lemon juice, grease cutter and two tablespoons of dishwashing liquid, water. Then filling a baking pan approximately 3 inches long with this mixture along with stirring.After this, set the oven at 250 degree centigrade and place the pan inside the oven. Let the pan rest in the oven until all the water gets evaporated. This will let all the grease get removed from the oven and result in fully cleaned surface.
Keep some instructions in concentration while cleaning the oven
- Before using any method of cleaning the oven, always consult the manual provided by the owner. It is also essential to call the service line of the particular company of the oven which you are using. This should be done because companies use a wide range of products for the appliances and can give you better suggestions and precautions in this regard.
- Be careful in using chemicals while cleaning your oven. There are chances of the traces of the chemicals to remain inside and contaminate the food when it is placed on bake ware. Hence, it is necessary to clean it thoroughly after using chemicals.
- Steel wool, scrubbing pads can sometimes result in scratching the exterior of the pan. Their use should be minimized.
Enjoy the easy and daily cleaning of your toaster oven!